Sunday, March 27, 2011

$60/Hr

Just before new years, I invested in a teeth whitening business.  I spent a couple of weeks asking various salons to allow me to whiten people's teeth in exchange for a percentage of my fees.  I also posted an ad on Craigslist.  I had a few takers from the Craigslist account right away but I had an entire month with no customers at all.  That's when I realized I needed to do something else as well.

I started reading books, investigating business opportunities and writing this blog.  Aside from reposting my ads on Craigslist, I haven't done anything to market the teeth whitening business.  Instead, I spent a lot of time and energy cleaning up the rarely used loft room of my house, converting it to my insurance office.

Although my attention and energy was with the insurance business, I started receiving calls for appointments with the teeth whitening.  Each appointment only takes about an hour so I don't mind leaving my office (and my home) to go into the "real world." It also doesn't hurt that even after paying a commission, I'm making about $60 an hour.

My favorite part about the teeth whitening business is that I get to meet new people.  They have already decided to purchase my service by the time I meet them, so I don't need to sell them anything.  I just help them get whiter teeth and learn a little bit about them.  The lady I met on Friday was pretty special.

She was 85 years old.  Some people have real trouble getting the cheek retractor into their mouth, but this lady was so anxious to have her teeth whiter, she had no trouble at all.  I could tell that she didn't like having to sit there for so long, but she knew what she wanted and didn't complain. 

Her friend told me that she had been a pastor's wife here in Houston for many years, that she was a published author and also a public speaker.  For the 45 minutes that she was in the health food store getting her teeth whitened, she was a brave lady relaxing in my chair.  Her teeth were 8 shades whiter when we were done, and her smile was huge.

My Yiyi passed away earlier this month, and this lovely lady reminded me of her.  I couldn't help but ask her for a hug before she left.  She gave me a wonderful hug and I left with warm fuzzies.  I'm not just a stuffy insurance sales person working from home.  On occasion (like tomorrow morning) I get to go out into the world and brighten people's smiles:)

1 comment:

  1. Still can't write in greek hugh? This one made me cry... I still miss Yia Yia too.

    ReplyDelete