Monday, March 14, 2011

Should I Sell Insurance?

Sometimes I feel like I'm tearing myself into too many pieces trying to figure out what to do next.  After three months of nothing, I'm starting to feel more rushed.  I'm ok financially but I was never one to enjoy the feeling of being in limbo.  This was one of the things I disliked the most about teaching.  The window to move to a new position or location was so small.  I only had about 6 weeks to find another position and move.

Now I've been "available" for three months and I still don't know which direction I want to go.  I've been reading several books that are designed to help me find that perfect career and many of them ask what I'm good at.  I remember several years back taking an aptitude test and the administrators were amazed.  They said that all of my results were at a mid-level.  A "normal" person would have peaks in some aptitude areas and lows in others.  I didn't have any lows...but I didn't have any highs either.

A couple of the books asked what others say I'm good at.  The only recurring thing I can think of is that through-out the years people have actually told me they like my questions.  I ask a lot of questions.  Sometimes I think I annoy sales people and other presenters but on several occasions I have been told that people really appreciate my questions.  I haven't yet figured out how to convert this knack into a source of income.

Last night I got the chills because I thought I'd finally figured it out.  Before I got sick, I was working toward my school counseling certification and prior to that I had considered a career as a professional counselor.  I decided not to attend anymore school (I'm still paying off $70k in student debt.)  Counselors definitely ask a lot of questions.  I'd already given up on counseling but something else fits what I've been doing every day.  I thought that maybe I could make use of all of the self-help books I've been reading and become a life-coach. 

I poked around and looked at some plans to become a coach, one of which was at the 48 days website.  I'm just not sure if I can handle the required marketing.  Today it went further into the back of my mind.  I'm nervous about it because I don't know if I could be successful.

Before I started this blog, I had looked at different business opportunities and crossed many of them out as I went along.  Debtaway seemed to take advantage of clients that don't have any money or sense about them.  Vending machines are definitely not my thing and I'm not convinced that an online store is going to make me a few thousand dollars just by being. 

Today I spoke to someone about coaching me one-on one about selling insurance. He wants a reasonable fee and will schedule time to work with me one on one.  He provides a website and a quoting system.  He also starts me off with some leads.

What I haven't mentioned yet is that back in April of last year, I got my life and health insurance license.  I spent hundreds of dollars on leads but I only submitted one policy and it was from a personal referral.  The money was definitely good for that one policy but I had real problems with marketing. I've been paying for errors and omission insurance and an affiliation membership but I haven't been making any money.  I considered giving up the insurance business, but today I was thinking about it pretty strongly. 

It seems like the fee this coach would charge (and reimburse as I made sales) would be worth it if I really want to be in the insurance business.  The problem is I don't know if it is what I want anymore.  Could it be that I've frozen my self so cold that I'm afraid to move?  Something just tells me that this would be a job and not something I would be passionate about.

Things I like about insurance:
  • I can work from home.
  • My work would be mostly from home.
  • There is money from residuals.
  • I'm already licensed and could start right away.
  • I'd be educating people.
  • I believe in the product and have a lot of knowledge about it.
  • I can work days, nights, or both.
  • I can incorporate my writing "hobby" into the marketing.
  • I can be licensed in more than one state at a time and I can work from anywhere in the world.

Wow, I think I may have talked myself into this.  Things that make me uneasy about it are:
  • It is selling a product.
  • It requires a license (something to fear losing).
  • There is a lot of competition.
  • I'm not sure how quickly I would "grow out of it."
I think the last one is the biggest.  Aside from not being successful, I'm worried that I might get tired of it in a couple of years and find myself writing a blog about life after insurance!  I'm going to dig a little deeper into these books, then sleep on the insurance idea.

1 comment:

  1. Who wrote this I don't see one spelling mistake! jk
    I like the life coach idea. What about a financial coach like our friend Suze Orman? Hope you find your nich soon! BAM-

    ReplyDelete